Unitarian Universalists of Petaluma

The purpose of this congregation is to provide a haven where members can share in a spiritually, culturally, and socially diverse local religious community. We envision a congregation that will be welcoming to all, that values the contributions of each member in shared ministry, and that actively promotes and models individual development of an ethical way of living. We are intentionally intergenerational, and covenant to provide religious education and spiritual growth for children and adults.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

UU Author Kurt Vonnegut: 1922-2007

No doubt Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., would have something perfect to say about his own death. In fact, he said many of them in his writing.

Kurt Vonnegut was my particular favorite writer during high school and for quite some time after, and has always remained for me one of the best writers ever in American and world literature.

He was a Unitarian Universalist, and therefore I feel that this is a good place to mourn his passing, and to celebrate his life. He loved humanity, but didn't think too much of what people have done to each other, and to the planet. He wrote movingly about the horrors of war, which he experienced first-hand. He was funny! He could make you laugh at things you could barley stand to think about.

The trade paperbacks of his books that I purchased still sit on my bookshleves. Because I taught a course on his work in my own high school in my senior year, they are heavily marked up. I used highlighters to indicate passages on what I saw as his major themes: fate (pink), truth and lies (yellow), war and violence (orange), machines as metaphor (green).

Kurt Vonnegut is dead. So it goes.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At Monday, 16 April, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "so it goes"
    Thanks for your posting on Kurt Vonnegut, a UU and a Humanist.

    I was going to speak on 22 April on
    the 200th Birthday of the birth of HW Longfellow (27 Feb 1807). Now the service will be "Unitarians-from Longfellow to Vonnegut."
    We'll start with "I heard the bells on Christmas Day," and probably close with the quote with which ends Wesley Hromatko's sermon on Vonnegut (which I found on WWW).
    "I say of Jesus ... if what he said was good, and so much of absolutely beautiful what does it matter if he was God or not? ... if Christ hadn't delivered the Sermon on the Mount, with its message of mercy and pity, I wouldn't want to be a human being. I'd just as soon be a rattlesnake." (quoted from A MAN WITHOUT A COUNTRY, P.80)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home