Unitarian Universalists of Petaluma

The purpose of this congregation is to provide a haven where members can share in a spiritually, culturally, and socially diverse local religious community. We envision a congregation that will be welcoming to all, that values the contributions of each member in shared ministry, and that actively promotes and models individual development of an ethical way of living. We are intentionally intergenerational, and covenant to provide religious education and spiritual growth for children and adults.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Religious Education Update: May 11, 2008

Happy Mother’s Day

This past Thursday Dan and I walked the two mile circular path around Shollenberger Park. It was a warm spring day and the trail was crowded for a weekday. As we strolled along, we soon spotted a pair of swans with three very young gray and fuzzy cygnets close to shore. Immediately after, we came across a mama Mallard duck with her nine tiny ducklings swimming all around her. As we walked along the banks of the Petaluma River, we watched the egrets flying to their nests in the eucalyptus trees on the opposite bank. Continuing on, I kept looking for the Canadian Geese babies who were so abundant on previous strolls. Finally, at the end of our walk, we spotted three families of Canadian Geese, with babies of varying ages, some still yellow, while others had sprouted brownish wing feathers.

Shollenberger Park is positively filled with new bird mothers this month. Many birds were still sitting on their nests, so the miracle of the tiny babies will continue for awhile.

As I watched the avian moms, I wondered if I could cope with their challenges. Could I stand sitting on a nest of swan eggs for 28 days? Could I keep nine ducklings reasonably together without the ability to pick them up? If I were a Canadian Goose, could I tell my babies apart from other goslings?

Nurturing others isn’t easy, whether you are a bird parent, or a human parent, or just someone who has chosen to assist other beings. It can be challenging to put the needs of others before one’s own wants and desires. As babies grow up, it can be difficult to stand back and allow them to fly on their own. However, the miracle of new life never ceases to fill me with awe and wonder. How beautiful and full of life, energy and hope are those little birds. I felt so blessed to be surrounded by them on my springtime walk.

Marlene Abel
Director of Religious Education

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home