Unitarian Universalists of Petaluma

The purpose of this congregation is to provide a haven where members can share in a spiritually, culturally, and socially diverse local religious community. We envision a congregation that will be welcoming to all, that values the contributions of each member in shared ministry, and that actively promotes and models individual development of an ethical way of living. We are intentionally intergenerational, and covenant to provide religious education and spiritual growth for children and adults.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Religious Education Update: Sept. 21, 2008

What do UU’s believe?

Many of us have a difficult time explaining our faith in a few words, sometimes referred to as an “elevator speech”. It is indeed a challenge to give a decent answer before the other person in the elevator reaches their floor.

For me, a positive approach is to think of how UU’ism affects my relationship to the rest of the species, the world and the universe. As Meredith told the children last week, UU’s believe that each person is equally important and deserves equal treatment and rights. Her words tell me how to relate to other humans. Our seventh principle reminds me that I’m part of the interdependent web of life, and that other species matter. It also reminds me of my moral obligation to live gently on the earth. Finally, as a UU, I believe that I am free to search for my own answer as to my relationship with all of creation. In other words, I choose my own path to “live in harmony with the divine.”

I often tell the children and youth that they are not, “free to believe anything they want”, a misconception I hear from time to time. When someone hurts others or damages the planet, they are not living by UU Principles. We UU’s stand for many things: democracy, liberty, caring for the environment, promoting justice and so forth.

As the children and youth study world religions this year, I want them to come from a grounded place where they know, “This is UU’s believe.”

Marlene Abel
Director of Religious Education

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home