Unitarian Universalists of Petaluma

The purpose of this congregation is to provide a haven where members can share in a spiritually, culturally, and socially diverse local religious community. We envision a congregation that will be welcoming to all, that values the contributions of each member in shared ministry, and that actively promotes and models individual development of an ethical way of living. We are intentionally intergenerational, and covenant to provide religious education and spiritual growth for children and adults.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Religious Education Update: November 16, 2008

Learning to be Grateful

Last Thursday night, I was part of a school board meeting which dealt with California’s budget crisis. I’ve been part of that board for almost 16 years, and been through fiscal crises before, but never this dire. Our business manager led us through a list of possible cuts: we could stop cleaning the classrooms, close the libraries, fire the cooks, or increase class sizes in grades four though six. The board made no decisions, but I still left the room feeling upset and sad. All of the choices would mean that some very deserving people would lose their jobs, and our children’s education would be affected.

On Friday, I awoke to a glorious autumn day. I took my morning fitness walk down my street, underneath trees that shone brilliantly red, orange and yellow in the morning sun. The fall rains had returned the lawns to an emerald color, and the gentle breeze was very warm for November. It didn’t seem right, somehow, to experience such natural beauty after the distress of the night before. But, life does go on regardless. After the darkest of nights, the sun rises and the rest of the world continues on unperturbed, whether or not such beauty fits one’s outlook.

My challenge today is to be grateful. Yes, I’m dealing with unwanted problems, but life is continuing. The children of my school district are still learning, and the employees are still working their magic. Perhaps the State of California will learn from this crisis, and make needed changes. Perhaps not. If I practiced one of the Chinese religions, I might learn to appreciate the yin and yang of my situation. At this moment, I’m not feeling appreciation for lessons I might learn from my difficulties at the board table, but I am feeling gratitude for my many blessings on this beautiful day.

Marlene Abel

Director of Religious Education

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home