Unitarian Universalists of Petaluma

The purpose of this congregation is to provide a haven where members can share in a spiritually, culturally, and socially diverse local religious community. We envision a congregation that will be welcoming to all, that values the contributions of each member in shared ministry, and that actively promotes and models individual development of an ethical way of living. We are intentionally intergenerational, and covenant to provide religious education and spiritual growth for children and adults.

Friday, November 24, 2006

Religious Education Update: November 26

Making a Difference

I went grocery shopping Thanksgiving morning to buy Brussels sprouts, a last minute addition to the feast. I also decided to buy coffee for my daughter who is no longer able to buy a cup at her beloved Deaf Dog. I was a bit overwhelmed by the coffee choices, and wanting to buy something satisfactory, I called home for advice. “So, Lara, do you want Italian Roast or Breakfast Blend? I found some coffee that it is certified organic.” Her response was to look for Fair Trade Coffee, that Fair Trade mattered more to her than the organic label.

When I arrived home with the Fair Trade (and organic) coffee, I learned from my daughter that Fair Trade coffee buyers pay a sustainable price to their growers, allowing the growers to support their families and continue to produce coffee beans. I also learned that paying more for coffee, as I did at Thanksgiving, was also giving fair value to that stranger in a far off land who grew the beans for me.

After shopping, I called a friend who runs our school district band program to wish her a happy Thanksgiving. In our talk, we happened to mention a young trumpet student that is doing amazingly well. He has a natural embouchure and native talent that will allow him to eventually be a real star in the jazz bands at Kenilworth and Casa. This child is also “at risk” because of his less than motivated efforts in other subjects. My friend noted that band may well “save his life”, in that his passion for music will give him a reason to stay in school and study all those other subjects which interest him less.

The lesson that family and friends gave me Thanksgiving morning is that my decisions in spending my money and my time have a wider impact than I usually acknowledge. I can choose to be a socially conscious consumer and pay attention to issues like Fair Trade coffee or chocolate and help the growers subsist. I can choose to buy from local merchants like Deaf Dog and help keep small businesses afloat. When I choose to volunteer my time with the district band program, I am not only keeping music alive for this year and these children, but I may be making a real difference in some young people’s futures.

After absorbing this lesson of how my decision making affects the world, I’m thinking about the holiday season a little differently. Perhaps I could consider more carefully how I spend my time and money and maximize its potential for making a real difference. I will still focus on showing my love and affection for friends and family, of course. But what I decide really does matter to the bigger world. Today’s effort towards making the world better will be to mail in my Chalice Lighter check to support UU churches in the New Orleans area. Perhaps, tomorrow I will begin a more thoughtful shopping plan for the holidays.

Marlene Abel
Director of Religious Education

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home