Unitarian Universalists of Petaluma

The purpose of this congregation is to provide a haven where members can share in a spiritually, culturally, and socially diverse local religious community. We envision a congregation that will be welcoming to all, that values the contributions of each member in shared ministry, and that actively promotes and models individual development of an ethical way of living. We are intentionally intergenerational, and covenant to provide religious education and spiritual growth for children and adults.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Religious Education Update: April 15, 2007

Learning to Slow Down

Most of the time, I live happily in a culture that values speed. I want my computer to work instantly, and I gladly pay more for a high speed connection. When shopping, I try to predict which checkout line will move the quickest. I enjoy driving at the speed limit in the carpool lane. I generally race through my day, trying to work efficiently and get more done. I realize that I’m paying a price for speed: that much beauty passes me by unnoticed and unappreciated.

This past week, my husband and I intentionally chose to slow down the frenetic pace by taking a train trip to Reno. I knew going into this mode of travel that I’d have to change my mindset about speed to keep my sanity. When we arrived at the Martinez Amtrak Station, we learned that the train was delayed. This was expected news, and we practiced being patient. We finally left an hour behind schedule. The train moved quietly and smoothly, but not quickly. Freight trains have right of way over passenger trains on this line, and we stopped several times to allow freight to go ahead.

I settled into a comfortable seat in the sightseeing car, and watched the egrets and Mallard ducks in the Delta. Later, over lunch in the dining car, I conversed with a young English man about his worldwide travels. As we climbed through the Sierras, I watched as the white flowering Dogwood trees were replaced by patches of snow. I wish I could say that slowing down was easy, but it wasn’t. I felt impatience as we pulled into Reno two hours late. I had enjoyed the natural beauty of the trip, but was frustrated by the delays.

I realize that slowing down as a spiritual practice is going to take more practice on my part than one short train trip. But when I do actually slow down, in quiet meditation, or in an extended conversation with a friend or family member, on a hike, or by spending time in my garden, I learn to appreciate the beauty that surrounds me and I feel more at peace. I think our children need this slower pace also. They need to read books, watch the stars, and dig in the dirt. I see children in our schools that can’t focus as they are used to the constant, intense stimulation of being plugged into technology. The greatest gift we could give these children would be a chance for them to live the “slow life” and see what they’ve missed.

Marlene Abel
Director of Religious Education

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home