Unitarian Universalists of Petaluma

The purpose of this congregation is to provide a haven where members can share in a spiritually, culturally, and socially diverse local religious community. We envision a congregation that will be welcoming to all, that values the contributions of each member in shared ministry, and that actively promotes and models individual development of an ethical way of living. We are intentionally intergenerational, and covenant to provide religious education and spiritual growth for children and adults.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Religious Education Update: February 17, 2008

Joys and Concerns

Last Sunday, I gathered with the children ages 3-11 in the upperstairs classroom, after the kids had been sung out of the service. Lara, our youth advisor, and Bailey, a youth, were busy in the kitchen mixing up cookie dough for Valentine’s Day cookies. Kimmy West, our nursery caregiver, was watching baby Jocelyn. I had two adults with me, Sharron Belson, our new RE teacher for the 3-6 year olds, and Leslie Balestreri, member of the RE committee.

As we gathered in a circle on the rug, one child lit the chalice (battery operated, for safety.) We began our weekly ritual of Joys and Concerns, in which each person drops a stone into a glass of water, and, if they wish, shares something happy or sad from the previous week. I dropped a stone in the water and shared that I had lost two of my three pet cats the day before. One, the Mama Cat, had been hit by a car in front of my house, and her son had suddenly fallen gravely ill to liver failure from unknown causes. A trip to an emergency vet hospital had failed to save the younger cat, but had given Lara and me an answer as to why he was dying. As I shared, my teacher side told me that I was modeling how to participate in Joys and Concerns, but my human side told me that I was just sharing a sad moment. Eva, sitting next to me, shared that her pet fish was not well. Rosemary shared that her 6th grade teacher, who had been out ill, was going to visit the class. Others shared their happy and sad moments.

Our upstairs version of the adults’ “Embracing Meditation” tends to be less formal and more rambunctious than the downstairs version. We once had a bit of a water spill, and sometimes a child is just plain silly. Yet, I think it is an essential part of the morning. Each child knows that he or she may share and receive support from the group. On this morning, they learned adults have happy and sad times, too. Part of having a spiritual home is knowing that there are others who will share one’s joys and empathize with one’s sorrows. In our RE circle, we strive to be that spiritual home.

Marlene Abel
Director of Religious Education

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home