Unitarian Universalists of Petaluma

The purpose of this congregation is to provide a haven where members can share in a spiritually, culturally, and socially diverse local religious community. We envision a congregation that will be welcoming to all, that values the contributions of each member in shared ministry, and that actively promotes and models individual development of an ethical way of living. We are intentionally intergenerational, and covenant to provide religious education and spiritual growth for children and adults.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Religious Education Update: March 1, 2009

Connecting with Our Denomination

March is the time of year when I make my summer plans. I take a two month long, unpaid break from being your DRE, and recharge my spiritual batteries. I am blessed that my contract with UUP gives me this freedom.

I plan to attend General Assembly, which is in Salt Lake City this year, June 24-28. This conference is a gathering of UU’s from across the nation, and is quite amazing. For me, the highpoint of GA is talking to UU’s from all over, and the many worship services. GA can be done expensively, or on the economy plan. My plan is to take the train ($136 roundtrip), stay in a University of Utah dorm room ($225 for five nights), and volunteer to offset registration fees (free). Registration for GA, housing, and volunteer applications all open this coming week. If you’re interested in trying GA, I’d be happy to share my experiences.

Summer is also the time when my whole family goes to Family Camp. This particular camp is a gathering of 130 folks from UU congregations all over northern California. I hang out mostly in the kitchen, and have fun making desserts and breakfast pastries for the camp. (Camp food is mostly organic, made from scratch, healthy and delicious. I provide balance, by cooking with butter, sugar and chocolate. I feel very much appreciated by all the dessert loving campers!) The camp is rustic, and deep in a redwood forest near the town of Mendocino. Registration begins this month, and I love to see UU’s from Petaluma at camp. (The Greany/Boatmans, the Dodd/Spauldings, Amy West, Leslie Harrison and Eva came to camp last year!)

I’m a big believer in connecting with other UU’s, and I particularly recommend it for children and youth. According to the book, Growing Lifelong UU’s, children who have “UU immersion” experiences like camp or conferences are more likely to stay in the denomination. However, my own young adult children continue to be UU campers because they love it.

Marlene Abel

Director of Religious Education

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home