Unitarian Universalists of Petaluma

The purpose of this congregation is to provide a haven where members can share in a spiritually, culturally, and socially diverse local religious community. We envision a congregation that will be welcoming to all, that values the contributions of each member in shared ministry, and that actively promotes and models individual development of an ethical way of living. We are intentionally intergenerational, and covenant to provide religious education and spiritual growth for children and adults.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Religious Education Update: May 10, 2009

Who’s a Mother?

This past Good Friday, two simultaneous events changed my life. A female feral cat who had roamed the neighborhood for the past couple of years abruptly disappeared, and I began hearing meowing from under the house. The first time I heard a “meow”, I thought I was just hearing things. But the meowing continued, and got louder whenever anyone entered either of our bathrooms.

When I crawled under the house to investigate, I saw nothing but the usual dirt and spider webs. I could hear meowing coming from an outside wall, but no sign of a cat. Puzzled, I lay on my back on the dirt, until I spotted a tiny paw in a hole in the subflooring where a pipe connects to the bottom of the shower area. I waited for the paw to reappear, then extracted a kitten from the flooring. Soon, I had nabbed four kittens.

I suddenly was “mom” to these four tiny kittens, who appeared to be about five weeks old. They accepted me readily, despite their feral upbringing. When I held them in my lap, they would climb up into my hair, searching for somewhere to nurse. They didn’t understand yet how to lap milk from a dish, but meowed insistently that they wanted milk, now. They bonded to me, despite my total lack of resemblance to their real mom.

Becoming a mom, in a broader sense of the word, can occur after a pregnancy, or it can occur when some creature needs your attention and care. It can occur by choice, or by happenstance, as with my little kittens. These happy events may provide teaching moments in nurturing, a skill that requires that the needs of other living things supercedes one’s own issues, The family pet may need food or attention; the garden may need watering. A child who learns to care by providing for another, has mastered the first lesson in good parenting.

Marlene Abel

Director of Religious Education

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home