Unitarian Universalists of Petaluma

The purpose of this congregation is to provide a haven where members can share in a spiritually, culturally, and socially diverse local religious community. We envision a congregation that will be welcoming to all, that values the contributions of each member in shared ministry, and that actively promotes and models individual development of an ethical way of living. We are intentionally intergenerational, and covenant to provide religious education and spiritual growth for children and adults.

Friday, August 17, 2007

Religious Education Update: August 19

Are You Serious?

Last winter, I was sitting with the other second trumpets in the Healdsburg Community Band, when the trumpet player sitting next to me noticed my
t-shirt. Claire read the writing across the front of the shirt, "Unitarian Universalists of Petaluma" and then looked me in the eye and said, "Are you serious?" It wasn’t a good time for a lengthy explanation, as we were rehearsing, so I replied, "Yes, I am. That’s my church."

As a UU, I need to be prepared for the quizzical look. I also think I should be able to articulate my faith with positive beliefs. If I start with seeming negatives, such as that we don’t have a creed, or that most UU’s are not Christians, I will likely puzzle my audience further. I imagine Claire responding, "So, what do you believe?" Here are some positives that I use when talking to our UUP children and youth:

1. UU’s believe that we are born as good people, and that we don’t need to be baptized to remove badness or sin.
2. UU’s have a long history of working to make the world a better place, and have led the fight against slavery, for women’s right to vote, for civil and gay rights, and against many types of injustice.
3. UU’s believe in improving the world today, rather than worrying about what happens after we die.
4. UU’s believe that all life is important and valuable.
5. UU’s believe that the universe is a wonderful gift, and we appreciate the natural beauty that surrounds us.
6. UU’s believe that we can accomplish more working in community than by working alone.

Here’s a challenge: Can you make a statement of your personal faith starting with the words, "I believe...". If we can speak with our children and youth in this way, we model for them a way to be able to explain their faith on the playground or in the cafeteria. That would make being a UU kid just a little easier.

Marlene Abel
Director of Religious Education

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home