Unitarian Universalists of Petaluma

The purpose of this congregation is to provide a haven where members can share in a spiritually, culturally, and socially diverse local religious community. We envision a congregation that will be welcoming to all, that values the contributions of each member in shared ministry, and that actively promotes and models individual development of an ethical way of living. We are intentionally intergenerational, and covenant to provide religious education and spiritual growth for children and adults.

Friday, August 24, 2007

Religious Education Update: August 26, 2007

Ministering to Our Children

Today a number of us will be talking about our dreams and plans for the religious education program this year. We will be talking about the essential details such as classes, teachers and activities. We will also be sharing our dreams for what we want for our children: a warm, embracing community, connections to their elders, and knowledge of why our faith matters in this world.

We will also consider that UUP provides a ministry to children, just as it does to adults. Adults often find that their spiritual needs are addressed in worship services, in women’s group meetings, in discussion groups, or in conversation with other UUPers. Children need similar support structures.
In the new children’s hymnal, there is a song, "Then I May Learn", which begins:

When I am frightened, will you reassure me?
When I’m uncertain, will you hold my hand?
Will you be strong for me, sing to me quietly?
Will you share some of your stories with me?
If you will show me compassion,
Then I may learn to care as you do:
Then I may learn to care.

In the second and third verses, the song’s words describe how children learn to give and to love. These noble emotions of caring, giving and loving are central elements of becoming religious in our thoughts and actions. We want our children and youth to care for others and themselves, to give generously of their talents towards creating a better world, and to love the earth and all that is lovely and good.

While the academics of religious education are important, it is even more important for a child or youth to hear, "I want to listen to you, because you’re important to me."

Marlene Abel
Director of Religious Education

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home